Friday, April 1, 2011

The Last Time I Saw Erica


365::225 - The Dark Halfphoto © 2010 Darren Kirby | more info (via: Wylio)
It was Saturday February 26, 2011 at my Great Grandfather's funeral.  My Great Grandfather, William "Skeet" Moody, was 97.  The family gathered for his service and to say our goodbyes.  This would be the last time I saw Erica.  When I first saw her, I thought to myself, she looks great.  Her daughters were with her and she was smiling.  Even though we were gathered for a funeral she still had her sarcastic humor (it runs in the family).  After the service we all gathered to visit an reminisce about Grandpa and our lives.  Erica talked about her college classes she was taking and the marathons she had coming up.  I was happy for her.

Later that night we met at my parent's house.  Several relatives came over and we had hot dogs.  We were all gathered around the dining table where my brother and aunt Marilyn were entertaining us with their crude stories.  We all had some great laughs.  The time was getting late and we said our goodbyes.  I had NO idea this would be the last time I saw Erica.  There is a hole in my heart.

Does anyone else see the strange irony in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment