Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Own Mortality


carpe diemphoto © 2003 Olivier | more info (via: Wylio)There is no escaping death, at some point each of us will pass away.  Erica's untimely passing has me thinking about my own mortality.  Here's a few questions I've asked myself:
  • What will I be remembered for? 
  • Have I told my loved ones how I feel about them?
  • Is my heart and faith in the right place?
  • What will the contents of my life say about me?
  • Will I leave unanswered questions behind?
I've closed my eyes and tried to imagine what would tomorrow be like, for my loved ones, if I were no longer here.  Do they know what my favorite flower is?  The songs I would want played at my memorial service?  Do I want to be cremated or buried?  There were many questions planning Erica's service that we didn't have answers to. 

The reality that we are not promised tomorrow has changed my perspective on many aspects of my life.  Carpe diem is my new motto.  I will no longer put off until tomorrow what I can do today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment