Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sticks & Stones

Sticks & Stonesphoto © 2007 Mykl Roventine | more info (via: Wylio)

When I was in grade school it was a popular saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  For a long time I felt this was true because mentally you can get through a lot.  Since Erica has passed away, I've changed my mind.  While cleaning out the contents of her life we came across a journal.  In this journal Erica expresses her unhappiness in relationships.  She felt like a lot of us do, she just wanted to be loved for who she was even if that included a couple of tattoos. 

There have been no sticks or stones thrown at me but Erica's words hurt.  She said nothing about me in her journal, and I'm fine with that.  The hurt comes from the fact that she was in so much emotional pain and I didn't know.  Was I that bad of a Sister that she didn't want to call me?  Did she think I wouldn't care?  When you say something hurtful while you're alive you have the chance to apologize.  I can't apologize to my Sister for the things I did or didn't do.  All that's left are regrets.

So the next time somebody tells you that sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.  Just remember, it depends on what those words are and if you can ever take them back.     

No comments:

Post a Comment