Monday, May 2, 2011

Adjusting


Roundabout detourphoto © 2008 Chris Dlugosz | more info (via: Wylio)
The American Heritage Dictionary defines Adjusting- to adapt or conform, as to new conditions.

We adjust things in our lives every day. Some adjusting is easy for example: road detours, we have to adjust our route but we still get where we need to go. Adjusting to the death of a loved one can be difficult, because the route you have always taken is no longer there.  The route my family always took during holidays, special events, and our daily routines were altered. We can't pull out a road map because this route has never been traveled before.

Our map, routes, and our roles have changed.  I was a Sister to two siblings, now I have one, this is an adjustment I wasn’t prepared to make.  I’m an Aunt to two wonderful Nieces, my Sister’s Daughters.  I always knew while Erica was alive that I would have a role in my Nieces lives.  With Erica gone my role in their lives is uncertain, another route that has never been traveled. 

There are a lot of things that I can adjust to in life.  My route in life has taken many detours, road blocks, pot holes, and sometimes it seemed like dead ends.  I’ve always managed to adjust and sometimes redirect my route to better roads.   What I’ve learned is that adapting and conforming to new conditions can be difficult and sometimes you have to build your own roads.     

No comments:

Post a Comment