Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Coping Mechanisms


Anaka Falls, Hawaiiphoto © 2006 Steve Cadman | more info (via: Wylio)There is an element of human nature in trying to protect ourselves.  When something is harmful or hurtful we try to fight back and protect ourselves the best we can.  One way to protect ourselves is using coping mechanisms.  I have to admit when I first started grieving Erica I was tempted to pretend she took a vacation to Hawaii and decided not to come back.  It might have made things easier for awhile.  But I knew this would be a denial of reality which is a coping mechanism.  In denial one refuses to believe a hurtful or threatening event or circumstance.  Eventually I would have to face the fact that my Sister is gone.  So I chose to write my blog instead.

To learn more about coping mechanisms visit the following link: coping mechanisms.

Quote:  Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.  ~Henry Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment