Saturday, May 21, 2011

Just a Thought

Crocus #21photo © 2011 Alexandre Dulaunoy | more info (via: Wylio)I have this book called The Book of Good Cheer from Laughing Elephant books.  The book contains many quotes and sayings and I read it when I need to be inspired.  Since Erica has passed I find myself reading it a lot.  I want to share with you one of my favorites:

I will this day try to live a simple, sincere and serene life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity and self-seeking; cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity and the habit of holy silence, exercising economy in expenditure, carefulness in conversation, diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust and child-like trust in God. 
           ~John H. Vincent

The thing that draws me to this saying is that Mr. Vincent has set boundaries and expectations for his life.  Ones that he hopes will be beneficial not only to himself but also to the people around him.  Each of us should have an idea of what we want our life to represent.  I have known for a long time that my values are very traditional compared to others my age.  My outlook on life is important to me and it's what guides me on a daily basis.  It seems that many around me only seek self satisfaction and forget that their actions affect others.  If we have never stopped and asked ourselves what we represent, how can we expect others to treat us the way we want to be treated?  

No comments:

Post a Comment