Thursday, May 19, 2011

Reactive Depression


my tree at duskphoto © 2007 b k | more info (via: Wylio)Grief is a very personal journey.  Each of us will deal with the death of Erica in our own ways.  For me talking and writing about it helps.  I am hoping my family will not experience reactive depression.  This type of depression can be brought on by a death in the family.  Our reactions and how we handle our grief is very important.  Although reactive depression usually passes with time, if you realize your grief is affecting your daily functions you may want to seek counseling.  If left untreated it could get worse which can lead to major depression. 

The hardest part for me is I don't have very many people to talk with about my loss.  I don't want to burden others with my grief so I tend to internalize most of it.  Because grief is so personal some people don't like to talk about it.  It helps me to hear how others feel.  I don't feel so alone when others share their experiences and feelings.  We should never feel ashamed or embarrassed for being sad.  Erica was an important part of our lives and we miss her.  Just remember you are not alone.  

Quote: Sorrow makes us all children again - destroys all differences of intellect.   The wisest know nothing. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment